7 Tips on buying furniture
Furniture can be one of the biggest investments you make and you’ll probably live with it for a long time, so when buying furniture it’s important to choose it well. In order to make an educated choice you should know that there are more things to conform to besides the trends and your own partialities. These things include:
1. Set a budget and consider it ahead of time. Seeing something wonderful that you can’t afford can break your heart. So just don’t look at too expensive pieces and stick to the plan. Also, each piece should have a purpose, don’t buy something just because it caught your eye.
2. Measure the available space you have. Thus you’ll know what will fit and what will not. Don’t forget to consider additional space for walking and traffic patterns.
3. Pay attention to the style and scale of the rest of the interior. Don’t buy furniture in style that doesn’t match and doesn’t fit in scale with your home.
4. If you buy wooden furniture think about what type of wood you want. To do that think of furniture’s usage: hardwoods such as beech and oak are strong and durable but are heavier and more expensive. Softwoods like pine and fir are more fragile, but are cheaper and lighter.
5. Do some research without leaving your home. Most of the manufacturers have online catalogues that give lots of information on their products, including dimensions, finishes and prices. If you find a piece you like try to picture it alongside other furniture. If you’re satisfied try to locate a store near you that carries this line of furniture and check the working hours. It is essential to see the item in person, as it is very likely to look different than on picture.
6. Finally you’re ready to go. If you picked something from a catalogue – find it. When you look at that piece seek quality construction details, reliable hardware and perfect finish. If you are looking for upholstered furniture, demand fabric samples – you may like better something that is not displayed.
7. If you don’t find the item you saw in a catalogue go and talk to the sales people. You can place a special order, though you might have to pay additional transport charges. If you want to have the furniture that suits your needs best, it is worth it.